Friday, January 1, 2016

What Nina Said.


"I choose to reflect the time and the situations in which I find myself. That is my beauty."

Nina Simone


In this quote, Nina Simone summarizes and defends her purpose and her art, makes a definitive choice and creates the parameters for her beauty. Her beauty is a reflection of her personal choice and decisions. She is not bending or trying to fit into a mold that was crafted for her by an outside entity.  It is not something the world can judge or measure. It is not something that will easily fade or dissipate. It is authentic. It is her truth, radiating from within.


When I finally got the courage to start this journey, it came from a place inside of me that was seeking authenticity and truth. It was the marked beginning of a commitment to do what Nina did- choose and commit to a purpose and define key constructs and ideas for myself.

Love Thyself is a reflection of the times that I find myself in. It is how I choose to see and define myself as a woman. It is a collection of ideas and thoughts that I believe will resonate with other women on a similar journey. It is an exploration of the belief in the trifecta of light, love and beauty shaped from within, and the potency to create reverberating change in ourselves, our relationships, our communities and the world.

On the one year anniversary of introducing this idea to the world, I realized that time will run circles around us if we're not paying close attention. I realized that even the most convicting, well intentioned plans require a daily refresh and commitment.

Over the next year and beyond, I hope to explore and share the imperfect but beautiful reflection of the experiences and ideas central to Love Thyself. My hope is that you who may read this will gather and repurpose within yourselves a commitment to making a definitive choice to love yourself and define your beauty by embracing and radiating your light and truth.


Love + Light,

Leah

No comments:

Post a Comment